Sunday 6 May 2012

We are the Swiss. We were 3D first.

The pit stop for this leg of the race is in Martigny, Switzerland. Martigny is nestled in the Alps just a short one hour's rail trip from Geneva. The train ride from Geneva hugs Lake Geneva and takes you through some stunning views. As one would expect, everything here runs like clockwork. In fact Switzerland is a little like Germany in that respect, but unlike Germany it has charisma. ; ) Kinda liking the place.

Couple of observations about Switzerland, based of course on my rather limited exposure to all things Swiss.

Observation 1: I get it. You guys make a lot of clocks and watches, but really, every other advertising billboard? I think I became a world expect on the inner machinations of performance timepieces just walking between the gate and passport control. Of course if you want me to return to Canada as a goodwill ambassador for your products we can certainly talk. ;)

Observation 2: I have a real hankering, nay a full on chocolate lust, for Toblerone. I doubt I'm going to get by Duty Free again without buying some....OK a lot. ;)

Observation 3: Not really a Swiss thing because she may have been a tourist, but Madam, cute butt or otherwise, you may want to leave the spray on jeans at home when you hit 55.

Observation 4:My room has a direct view of the mountains. I can also open my window fully and just soak in all that mountain air. Even if I wasn't dog tired having not really slept in the last 24hrs, I think I would be out like a light. If I had cotton bed sheets I may not wake for a week.

Observation 5: I am going to use every towel I can and even put the ones I don't use in the bath tub as well. Its principle.

Observation 6: This local draft beer is going down really really well.

Observation 7: Navigated myself successfully around the French dinner menu. Quite proud of myself actually. :)

Observation 8: Although I have seen many clocks and watches, I have not yet seen a cuckoo clock. Chocolatier? Yes; cuckoo clock? Nope.

Tomorrow evening I head to Paris. Would have liked more time to explore CH but hopefully i get a chance to return. Its choco heaven after all.

And now for a double espresso or five to wind the night down. ; )

1 comment: