Saturday 26 May 2012

Homecoming

I wrote this blog on Tuesday morning (May 15th) but am posting it later for obvious reasons. :)

I am so excited. I can't put in to words what I am feeling at the moment. In a few short hours, after what feels like a lifetime, I get to hug my mummy again. Of course I will hug my dad, and with just as much love, but the first hug will be my mum's. As a dad myself I know the rules and there is no point trying to fight them.

Me and my Mum

The last time I saw my parents was in June 2001.....June 3, 2001 to be precise. They had been visiting Canada (their one and only trip so far, ahem) and flew back in the evening....almost to the hour that my youngest Zack was making his entrance to this world....early of course, he never sleeps in. Their departure sparked the tornado of parenthood!

I look back over the previous 11 years and am taken aback with all that has happened in both my personal life and in the world at large. Zack was followed just 17 months later by my sweet Logi, the rock or the silent assassin depending on his mood. ;) 11 sweet years of being reminded every day that God moves in this world even when we may be blinded by our own self pity. 11 years of having the best job in the world. 11 years of knowing truly that I would give my life in a heart beat to protect my own.

 
No likeness w-h-a-t-s-o-e-v-e-r!
 11 years ago I would never have had to take my shoes off to get through security, nor discard that bottle of pop. The Twin Towers still stood and the world seemed a safer place. In some ways the world was a much happier place but maybe that is a view through rose tinted glasses.

I was living in Edmonton 11 years ago, still in love with snow and still in my early 30s. Now I am in my mid 40s in age and waistline and although my love of snow persists I now prefer a stolen night away as opposed to a life long commitment. ;) The first flutter of flakes in November still does raise a flutter in my heart and I think they always will. I'm a romantic, what can I say?

My parents are now bracketing 70 and although they are in relatively good health and enjoying life, the passing of the years now brings some poignancy. It also brings resolve and 11 years without a mother's hug will not be allowed to pass again. Nor will a grandmother's hug.

I have just spent the last 10 days or so flitting around Europe under the guise of work. Its been exciting for sure! Lots to see, lots to do, lots to eat and new places to check off the bucket list. But you know as exciting as it was to gaze upon the Mona Lisa and marvel at the Venus de Milo, to experience the peace of God whilst sitting in Sacre Couer, and to savour the taste of a pizza in Milan, the thought of my Mummy's embrace has always been the highlight of my trip. This trip has reminded me yet again that although the bright lights of a Grand Tour may momentarily capture the eye, the warm and loving blanket of family will always comfort the soul and bring true peace to a restful spirit.



Mum, Dad - I love you so much and I am the man I am today because of you.

Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment