Wednesday, 16 September 2026

I Choose

 


Maybe I write too much,
When others have moved on?
Maybe I talk too much,
Creating noise where silence should reign?
I cannot tell you how to feel,
As much as I cannot tell myself
To stop feeling.
If I could,
Would I?
Because not feeling,
Not talking,
Not writing,
Would make my memories of you
Dimmer,
Lesser,
And that would crater my heart.
So, I choose to feel,
I choose to talk,
I choose to write.
And with every word,
Every letter, every syllable,
And every sound,
My memories of you warm me,
Guide me,
Comfort me.
A world without you,
A world with no memory of you,
Is as far from comfort
As hope is from despair.
So, I write, I talk, and I feel
So that I don't forget you;
Not any part of you.
Because I am you.
I am of you, and from you.
Your love created me
As much as any DNA.
I know you are not here,
But that doesn't mean you are gone.
I know that your voice
Will now only ever whisper in my mind.
I know that although not present,
Your presence will always surround me.
Because a person only dies,
When we stop calling their name;
And so, I choose to write, to talk, and
To say your name,
Because I choose to keep you,
Living in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment